View Single Post
      06-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
aoysgelt
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

New E92 - first impressions + opinion on options

Finally got my first M3 - Space Grey E92 (got it for $1250 under invoice after BMW rebates). I am very happy with the purchase - it is a wonderful car. I wanted to share my first (after a month of ownership) impression including my take on options I got/did not get.

Overall impression - it is an amazing car. It feels "alive" when I drive it - and my previous car was 330ci with sports package - not a slouch. Even my wife - who is not into cars at all - loved it when she drove it.

One positive/negative about the car - it is way too much of a car for most US roads. While I enjoy the acceleration/handling I am very much aware that I am using just a fraction of car's potential in my driving - even when I try to push it. I will definitely try to make it to the track.

I was somewhat surprised how good of a daily driver it is - especially with EDC set to soft.

After driving manual for more than 20 years I got DCT transmission as a compromise so that my wife could drive it. While I miss the "classic manual" part I have to say that I find DCT better in almost every way. We will see how I feel in a year or two but for now I am very pleased with my decision.

Manual seats is something I would want to change. My wife drove my car couple of times and I find it annoying to switch it back. But seats are excellent.

Comfort access - not necessary but nice.

Navigation - did not get it - don't miss it at all. My phone does bluetooth voice directions by Google maps just fine. There were some posts of how you need a special adapter - no - just regular bluetooth. I have not tried audio streaming or other features yet. I have been in cars with iDrive - I think it is nice - but I don't miss it at all.

Competition package - wheels definitely look nicer than stock 18" I have. Also 19" gives car slightly better proportions. But I did not like lowering car. I ended up not getting competition package which is probably OK but I would strongly recommend getting EDC.

Carbon roof - looks very nice. But lack of ventilation may matter...

Leather - I probably wished I got speed cloth. The car gets warm and ventilation through windows is poor so having something that breathes better than leather would be nicer.

Bottom line - I am very happy to be driving M car - something I look forward to every day.
Appreciate 0