View Single Post
      10-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #43
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No, your car understeers a lot. So does my Z3 M Coupe, so does every BMW, he had it right, even if yours understeers less than others. Try an EVO, a Boxster/Cayman or a Z06 for something without a terminal amount of understeer.
My Z4 M is far more neutral than my 986 S was. The only sports car I've owned that was better balanced from the factory was my S2K.

I thought their review of the 1 M was a bit odd, it's a pretty stark contrast to every other review I've seen. Maybe the car just does very poorly on the race track compared to the street? Given how well it keeps up with the E92 M3 around a track, that doesn't make much sense to me either.

That said, I do hope BMW gets more "back to basics" with the next 1 M. I love the newer M cars. The E92 M3 is a fantastic vehicle, but it doesn't have the same sort of raw, visceral feeling that some earlier M cars did. There's something to be said for a car that's a little rough around the edges. They may not be as good for GT duty, or as quick around a track in the hands of 90% of drivers, but they're very rewarding and very fun. I have generally found my S2K and Z4 M to be more fun than other sports cars that made me look like a far better driver than I actually am.
Appreciate 0