02-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
What's the mileage on your fathers car and is what month/year 55 reg is it?

Assuming this is a 330i M sport saloon automatic, I just couldn't see the other two cars your dealers valuations are based on.

On one of the other forums I frequent, a guy traded in his immaculate (no prep work needed at all!) low mileage 330i M sport, similar vintage to yours for circa £13k. His car was loaded with options but it was manual. The guy was into detailing and the car was actually thoroughly immaculate.

Anyway, as others have rightly said, the discount if any on an AUC car depends on what channel the car has come in from and how long the dealer has had in stock. My previous M3 was bought back by the supplying dealership and was sold on within a matter of days for not a lot of mark up. Used M3's are in demand at the moment hence I don't think you'll get a lot of money off. In fact they recently had two saloons in, and they sold pretty quickly as well.

Have you tried selling the trade in privately? I wish you good luck but I just can't see any trader rising up to the sort of money you're looking for. If you get near £16,800 as a trade in, for the condition you describe the car in, that would be very generous.

The general idea is a dealership either gives you an excellent trade in, and they don't budge on the asking. Or if you get a great deal on the car you buy, you get a rubbish trade in offer. Unfortunately very difficult to have both.

From my buying experience, its difficult to get a healthy amount of money off an AUC car in right specification. Not every used car has £3k-£4k margin in it, sometimes its just hundreds. It is far easier to negotiate money off a brand new car as they have higher margins, and there are sometimes incentives for the selling dealer. The last time I went to buy nearly new AUC BMW, I ended up with a brand new car for not a hell of lot more.
Wise words indeed, I usually buy NEW and as said some dealership will need to make a sale to give a "large sale incentive" from BMW so game on.
Appreciate 0