04-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #90
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Excellent data point. I knew the number would be much smaller than the spring load or mounting loads but putting this ceiling here on this load is an excellent piece of the puzzle. Can you elaborate on where this figure came from. We all need to remember that this is a VERTICAL load as well, not lateral!

The bar itself will support both tension and compression, but I absolutely see you point about the huge difference between tension and compression in terms of the effect of the stainless bracket on the surrounding sheet metal. I guess your point is that this surrounding sheet metal does not provide a suitbably strong nor stiff load path?
The data point is based on the system being critically damped in (low speed) rebound. The data used is a suspension frequency at 2.2 Hz with the damper motion ratio at 0.81^2. I used some other data based in the Shock Absorber Handbook to get a more accurate number. This is most likely the worst case.

The bracket looks to me that it might be a problem. You see that the aluminium beam center is much higher that the mount bracket bolts. It’s going to create a nasty bending moment under tension. In the first 2 seconds of seeing that it more or less screamed wrong.

I looked at most of the possible load cases and the all result in tension on this beam but I don’t think this will ever happen to any degree.

At this point you only need to do a few hand calculation of the bracket and make a few good assumptions to see if this will even work. You just need to get information of the bracket dimensions. You don't need any info from ACS.

My gut feeling tells me its not going to be great. I not sure Frank wants to question anyones credibility…..I spend 75% of my time doing non linear FEA and CFD Analysis so this is kind up my ally.

Still like to see the vendor support their claims in a short paragraph. I do this every day so how hard can it be.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 04-13-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0