01-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #1986
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky
So isn't it clear BMW knew what they were doing now? Funny I don't see bmlvr around chiming in how incompetent BMW is now. Sounds like they did everything right.
.and who is to say if everyone used 0w40 we wouldn't see many failures for different reasons or equal number of failures. Aren't we missing the benefits of thicker oil that are not present in less robust 0w40? I just don't doubtwe would trade a small number of one kind of problem for another kind of problem if all people used 0w40
The reason I am not chiming in is because I have been extremely busy overseeing the building of, and moving into my new house, and I just haven't had the time to be on here lately.

I didn't ever say that BMW as a company was incompetent I just stated the fact that I know how decisions made by certain departments within a big corporation can be flawed. I can make this statement because I work for a corporation that is very large and I see these types of mistakes/oversights happen often.

I still stick by my guns on my statements that the S65 is built too tight for its intended usage and oil recommendation. If BMW were using an oil with better cold flow characteristics I would probably be less uncomfortable with the clearance. Also of note is that if a thinner oil was used the increased flow rate to the bearings may very well lower the temperature of the bearings enough that it would actually result in a higher viscosity at the bearings due to significantly lower temps. Remember flow is king for keeping bearings cool!

P.S.: I don't think that it is a coincidence that the S65 and S85 are two of the only BMW engines that have no published clearances in their service information! I think that BMW AG must have realized the questions that would be raised had they published the numbers publicly.