View Single Post
      03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
Update: I will not be dyno testing this on Thursday.

I was holding the chargepipe up (admiring it), and noticed some white freckles along the inside of the chargepipe. Confused, I inspected it closer, and noticed light leaking through.

I know it's not 05SCM3's fault, I'm sure he didn't notice. On the contrary, I hope he didn't run this for too long, I know it was on his car until 2-3 days ago. I'd be worried that particles could have gotten into his engine during extended use. I don't even think 05SCM3 could have done this to the chargepipe, unless he intentionally prodded it with a needle a thousand or so times.

The problem is that the clearcoat on this is not very good and has leaks all over, but it's difficult to notice. Unless you're especially picky about clearcoat, I don't think you would even notice regularly. It's "especially bad" along the seam of the chargepipe, but the clearcoat holes are all over the entire body.

I dunno if these holes are big enough to let any significantly damaging particles through to the engine or not, but I just don't feel like taking any risks with my engine. I think I'll get this re-clearcoated first, and then tested properly another time. I'll still go to VF and lay down a baseline dyno, record temps and such, and see if I can get it tested under similar conditions another time.

I might dyno test stock versus BMC filter, maybe, if I get time to do 2 runs. (So far it's 10 cars.)
Let me tell you, the first thousand or so holes were a real bitch too!

Seriously though, never saw any thing like what you describe. Then again, I never looked at the inside of the pipe as close as you obviously did. I did wipe the outside and the inside of the charge pipe before shipping it off. The outside, as would be expected, left the usual under hood residue on the towel. This inside left nothing on the other side of the towel, suggesting that nothing was making it through pores in the clear cloat that you describe.

But, like you, I would get another coat of clear on that thing for peace of mind. Indeed, you might just consider a DIY spray on clear coat to the inside of the pipe and save yourself the cost of a paint shop visit.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0