yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Pardon my ignorance. What's "shimmy" and what does it do? I am about to get my 12mm RE spacers and having second thoughts now.

Is it must to have an alignment done after installing spacers? Any invaluable advice from senior and experience pros will be greatly appreciated.
Shimmy is when your steering wheel shakes when going at a certain speed. Usually it's from balancing problems but I do hear stories of people using spacers, particularly the larger ones and get this same problem.

Turns out, if you already have a balancing problem then it just worsens the effect until you balance your wheels correctly then it should go away.

For me speeds under 40 it's hard to tell but over 40 it gets worse until about 90mph then it dies down again. Personally I think that's a balancing issue and has nothing to really do with the spacers. I'll live with the shimmy until my new tires come in.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0