08-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
VIR is a safer track... If you run off or anything like that.. so that might be important to you...
I understand what you guys are saying, but you cannot go in with the mentality that you will have an off at high speed, or you most likely will. You simply cannot ever worry about that, even on a slow track like NHIS. Pick the track based on its layout, not on which is "safer". Because the truth is, you can incur damage (to the car, to your body, or as importantly to your ego/self belief) at any track if you are driving beyond your limits. And that's the key - VIR, WGI, NHIS, etc. - don't drive beyond your limits and you'll be fine. Go slow first, learn the track, and slowly increase your speed, but not beyond what you are comfortable with. Don't expect much your first time at either track. Make a goal for yourself and stick to that. Don't get into a competition with others. It's not a race. And next time you go back, make a new goal, etc.

I say this, because I know people get very excited and push too hard right away. Having a powerful car makes it easy to. Most tracks are best learned in a "slower" car for less speed down the straights and into the corners (where most offs happen to people first time at the track). Especially these two tracks. I would say take the Cayman. Better learning car IMO (the M is a real easy car to drive too fast - too easy). More feedback. You will not even get close to the limit. That's fine. The fact that you want to take the M, implies you want to push hard, and it's part of the reason I say this. But to each his own - they are your cars, your decision. I don't know your background, but even pros take it easy the first time at a new track. Limiting your gears is another option. This is what schools teach you. While you may be able to take a corner easily in 4th, take it in 3d for instance. Limit your shifting as well so you focus more on the proper lines, braking points, etc., and less on shifting for the first few times around. Stuff like this helps tremendously in getting you up to speed a LOT faster on a new track. It's tempting to take your most powerful car and push hard. And perhaps that's why some said VIR is "safer".

Hope this made some sense. I don't mean to sound all "preachy" or whatever. Just some advice based on my own experience. I DID say I prefer VIR for pure speed, and I do. I should have added this to my post I suppose. I guess it really was a reaction to people saying one is safer than the other. And, as I said, I understand what they mean, but you wanting to take the M also prompted me to post this. Hope it wasn't a lot of useless typing

Quote:
The way it sounds the M is the car for the Glen
This is what I noticed. And the reality is, unless you are in a competitive race, such statements can be dangerous to believe. Because the first time, you'll be just as fast in even a Cayman non-S! That's the truth.
Appreciate 0