No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Yes, you are right, BMW really doesn't have a model to compete with the 911. Audi has the R8, which is pretty different to the 911, and AMG the AMG GT. Wouldn't you want a 911 competitor from BMW? Would be nice, wouldn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I want a lot of badges so people can see I'm rich!
At least here in the states I'm guessing BMW has never green-lit a 911 competitor because that income bracket doesn't see BMW as its brand. Most rich guys I talk to don't see an M car as rich guy's car ... for their kid or wife, yes, but not for them. It's a market segmentation thing.

Look at the SL63 - MB can sell those at $150+ and the SL65 at $180+ so how about BMW? They have to discount M5s and M6s. Why? Actual rich people don't buy them.

Thus the irony of lots of M-badges is that it appeals to people who aren't rich - market segment fail.

So it makes sense that Mercedes-AMG would build a GT and BMW wouldn't ... BMW has a small window / opportunity to change this perception, however, with electric cars and the "i" brand. The newly rich younger demo may see an i8 like a rich guy sees a SL63. Audi was able to break the segmentation barrier with the R8 - they haven't been able to repeat that, but they did it. The i8 is looking similar.
Gruss, I'm going to disagree with your opinion on the rich and BMW.

I think brands like Porsche compliment the gaps between each of their models. How many variants of the 911 do they have? Like 15? Lol See the really rich have a lot of cars and the cars they select are usually focused to do one thing. Being driven to the meeting, going skiing, weekend drive and a track sprint are all done in different cars. BMW in order to appeal to these people needs to offer more models, each of them focused to do fewer tasks. But as it looks BMW wants all their cars to do everything.

Companies like MB and Porsche have more resources to develop and offer all the models that they do. IMHO I've always liked the BMW image among the German brands. Mercedes is too old world, Audi is too much VW and Porsche is too vain.

Regardless BMW need to step it up in offering;

M3/4 both RWD and AWD
M2 with turbo 4 and very light weight
A S55 mid engine 911 competitor with a carbon tub.
A v8tt hybrid super car
Please remove M badges from anything that isn't a real M.

But I totally agree with you on how Audi broke this barrier with the R8. Munich needs to do the same and do it right.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0