01-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #89
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
You're making the assumption BMW and/or Audi are trying to build a Porsche - I don't think they are. A 911 isn't an M4 and vise-versa, they're totally different products with totally different price points. Maybe the R8, but I think that's a different product too.

Mercedes-AMG is trying with the GT, sure, but not BMW or Audi. Also, and I'm no engineering expert, but I think Porsche is successful in spite of a rear engine, not because of it.

but tomato tomahto
Yes, you are right, BMW really doesn't have a model to compete with the 911. Audi has the R8, which is pretty different to the 911, and AMG the AMG GT. Wouldn't you want a 911 competitor from BMW? Would be nice, wouldn't it?

However, as BMW probably don't build mid engine cars as they are skilled in Front-mid engine (at least I think they make their engines Front-mid), RWD, I don't think it, or the AMG GT could compete. 2 decades ago, the Rear engine was a drawback, but now the cons of that layout have been faded out with new technologies, meaning the design is pretty much mid engine now. However, the M4 is faster than the 911 in a straight line, but not in cornering, and I think the 911 handles better, Porsche somehow seems to make an electric steering rack feel amazing.
Appreciate 0