04-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I had my oil level drop from above the middle marker to needing 1 quart late on a Friday evening while I was on the freeway to the motel I was staying at for a track weekend! I made a thread about it a while ago because it became a pain in the neck as well, but in the course of wrangling with the electronic dipstick I learned that the most reliable way to make it update is to drive for 5 miles and then tell it to start measuring while STOPPED and idling on a level road. I know the manual says it can measure while you're driving, but after I got my oil level squared away, none of the remeasures I did while driving updated the level indicator; the remeasure I conducted while stopped worked correctly. Hopefully this helps!
I do the same thing. On a fully warmed up engine, I park it on a level surface and leave the engine running for a minute or two. Then I reset the oil reading and it takes another reading. I've been at the halfway mark since I purchased the car with 1700 miles. It currently has 4000 miles.
Appreciate 0