View Single Post
      02-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

OP, have a few questions and thoughts:

- Did you just start having this issue or it's been there all along?
- Can you please explain better under what conditions are you getting the grind? Again, the clunk is normal, but a grind is not. Explain if shifting leisurely, quickly, at what rpm, etc, etc.
-Does it happen just when cold, or hot and cold? EVERY manual tranny I have and have had is notchy and difficult to shift smoothly when cold, especially the 1-2 shift.
- Did you know it takes at least 5K (usually 10K) to fully break in these trannies? I also have 3K on my car, and it's been shifting better and better.
- Are you sure it's not your shifting technique? And I mean this is a nice way, not implying you don't know how to drive. I've been driving manuals all my life, and am still getting used to shifting this car smoothly (it doesn't help that I drive other manual cars). It pays to play around with your shifting technique, especially with the 1-2 shift. If you're pulling the lever to the left even slightly, you can get a grind. Try shifting with 3 fingers (ring and index in front, thumb on back) so you don't put any undue pressure on the linkage, and report back to us.
- Did you get your tranny fluid replaced at the 1,200-mile service? Check your invoices.
- And finally, the best way to find out for sure if your car is normal or not, without getting frustrated , is to swap cars with another forum member willing to help. Or even better, just ask a member with a manual to just drive your car with you on the passenger side and tell you if it's normal.

Just trying to help you get the help you need. Remember these cars are inherently noisy and clunky to some degree. Take care.
Appreciate 0