View Single Post
      10-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #31
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

The M3 does not come with RFTs because at the time of launch there was not a tire that was sticky enough to meet BMWs requirements. The X5/X6 ///Ms were not going have them either except that BMW achieved better performance with them than the non-rfts.

While many people will complain that they have less performance that may not always be the case- steering is actually more precise as is cornering secondary to the stiffer sidewalls (same reason ride is harsh). Independent tests showed this in the past.

The next generation is said to greatly improve in harshness. Many performance cars are going to the RFTs- that being said it is nice to know if you have a blow out you are not going to lose control of the car thanks to the RFTs (I ran over a knife blade setup to pop a tire once (have to love metro NYC) at a good amount of speed and the tire lost pressure real fast- without the RFTs I would have been toast, not to mention in not such a great area.

I think they were rushed a bit and have no choice but to get better. The PS2s on the M3 are great and I am glad we did not need to beta test RFTs but at the same time I wish they were RFTs for the safety aspect.

There is some indication MINI may ditch the RFTs on the next generation but nothing has been finalized. If Audi can make one of those folding spares and keep the weight down I am sure BMW will find a way.