08-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #77
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sayemthree,

You and I have never crossed words or disagreed on very much and I don't want this to happen here either, so please let me explain why I say what I do and why I know I am correct.

Firstly, yes I totally agree, R-compound will last much longer than stock rubber, they were never meant to get the kind of abuse that trackdays give, they were design for comfort, noise, dry handling & braking plus wet handling, braking and aquaplaning. Basically a road tyre is a jack of all trades, something a race breed compound doesn't have to contend with.

Secondly, I am not saying that fitting R-compound tyres won't improve the time of a stock car, I have never said different, all I am saying is that the tyres aren't working at their optimum and to do that the suspension has to be tuned to work the tyres harder. Manufacturers work very closely with tyre manufacturers to develop a tyre for a certain model, if anything it proves that you can't just throw on anything and hope for the best.

What Tire Track tests are proving is there is a difference but then I never said there wasn't, just that it's not as great as it could be.
thats true on a lot of street cars. but the M3 suspension is very well set up. on my e46 for example the tire temps across the tire after a track session indicated need for metter alignment/camber etc. but based on tracking the e92 m3 with AR tires Ifound the tire temps were very even accross the tires.

so we agree a custom alignment would optimize the use of R tires and we agree R tires are faster on the track.