08-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #76
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I have run stock BMW's for years with R-comp tires. they rock, they do last much longer on the track too. also street tires overheat quickly and lose grip on the track.

also how can you argue with the Tire Rack test.
Sayemthree,

You and I have never crossed words or disagreed on very much and I don't want this to happen here either, so please let me explain why I say what I do and why I know I am correct.

Firstly, yes I totally agree, R-compound will last much longer than stock rubber, they were never meant to get the kind of abuse that trackdays give, they were design for comfort, noise, dry handling & braking plus wet handling, braking and aquaplaning. Basically a road tyre is a jack of all trades, something a race breed compound doesn't have to contend with.

Secondly, I am not saying that fitting R-compound tyres won't improve the time of a stock car, I have never said different, all I am saying is that the tyres aren't working at their optimum and to do that the suspension has to be tuned to work the tyres harder. Manufacturers work very closely with tyre manufacturers to develop a tyre for a certain model, if anything it proves that you can't just throw on anything and hope for the best.

What Tire Track tests are proving is there is a difference but then I never said there wasn't, just that it's not as great as it could be.
Appreciate 0