05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
all internet rumors. my sense is you've never owned a rotary.

no overheating issues and if by attention you mean check the oil every three weeks, well, it's called owning a car.

and soft? was rated the third best handling car under 100K by car and driver and regarded as one of best handling cars out there.

not fanboi-ing, just providing first hand information rather than internet skimming, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, i strongly disagree on personal experience. Is it a bit more involved than owning a mazdaspeed 3, or GTI, sure, but we're talking barely here.

I do think the GTI is a great choice as well, but why go FWD if you go RWD.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is first hand experience, not fodder from forums.

I'm not saying they are necessarily prone to overheating. But, if they do overheat, even slightly, you're replacing o-rings at a minimum. There is ZERO margin for error with cooling. Often you're done by the time you even see the temps spike. It's not that there's a high incidence of this. Rather, owning and maintaining a rotary is very different from maintaining anything else. Attention to maintenance and operating conditions is critical.

As far as my comment about the car being "soft", it is actually pretty soft. But that has nothing to do with its handling capabilities. They're very light with exceptional turn in and braking. But, they're soft. At least for me.
Appreciate 0