09-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #51
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
1. Wow, if this is your argument, how is it any different than your assertion that it works and is safe to use? Mutt has pics to back up his work, Richy has pics to back up his work and you have.......nothing.
And like I said most products produce results way too shiny for me and for many, whereas many strongly prefer a very matte finish.

I've yet to see pictures of leather ruined by ME.

I will snap some pictures of my next results using ME. I think based on the number of folks who have claimed success (IIRC Mutt said someone posts every month or so on this) it isn't reasonable to say flat out that the product does not work. Again how well it works may be bolstered by some pictures. Either way, there is absolutely no reason for me to lie about this.

Quote:
2. Soft surfaces respond differently to abrasives, yes. Generally, worse. What was the point here?
Abrasives on paint or a clear coat both due to their shiny nature and hardness is very different than how flesh/skin (i.e. leather) will respond to a very fine abrasive.

Don't forget the other "magic" part of the ME is its micropore structure which is very effective at not only removing grime but also TRAPPING it. This has not been emphasized much thus far but is a very important part of how and why this product works. It is far more than just a fine abrasive. It makes it better for cases like "dirty" leather where there is an actual buildup (skin cells, body oil, dirt, food, etc.). Again this is very different than what you want to accomplish with a clear coat polish on your exterior finish.

Quote:
3. The problem isn't who is right or who is wrong. Not whose method works better. It's that your suggestion MAY be taken by someone who then proceeds to ruin his car's interior. Are you going to step up when that happens, since they did it on your authority? The entire detailing community has embraced the "least aggressive" method, whether on paint, wheels, leather, whatever. No way, no how is something functionally as abrasive as 3000 grit sandpaper the best way to go about this.
I do appreciate and embrace the "least aggressive principal" IN GENERAL. Nothing wrong with that advise. For the tenth time... I stand by my experience and advise on very careful and infrequent use of this product where specific goals are in mind. The analogy to a careful polish is appropriate. Isn't is actually a bit absurd on the interwebs to ask (a non professional enthusiast) to take responsibility for someone else's failure?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0