View Single Post
      09-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #46
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

The biggest issue here is someone spreading bad and detrimental information to other car enthusiast. Like a product I didn't list? No problem. Want to try something else? No issue. Want to even debate using an oil based / solvent based product (Leatherique) on a urethane coating? Understandable.

You're debating on whether of not it's not only OK to us a Magic Eraser, but that it's a good thing to use to maintain your leather? NOT OK.

You assert that because I don't support your detrimental use of a product, that it
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
leads to the obvious conclusion that you have never tried one, on any material, leather or not
which is wrong, but more importantly is completely irrelevant. I continue to use Magic Erasers and have given advice to use them on things like plastic trim for things like scuff removal and wax residue. They work WONDERS on such tough homogeneous material like plastic trim. There's no top-coat to worry about, and any additional properties (such as UV ray protection) are impregnated through-out the material, not just on the outer surface).

Even worse than claiming I'm not familiar with the house-hold cleaning tool you champion as not only an acceptable, but the best method for maintaining leather, you state this:
Quote:
Your contention that a magic eraser on leather is more or less equivalent to a sanding disk used to wash a car remains the ultimate in extreme hyperbole.
I suppose you either don't want to miss another opportunity to prove that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, especially after Mike made this post on page two:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Richy H from one of the detailing forums has used a magic eraser on paint defects before, and says it leaves scratches comparable to 3000 grit sandpaper. So if anyone doesn't have a magic eraser on hand, now you have another leather cleaning option.
Surely looks like a case of extreme hyperbole to me!
For what it's worth, the "Richy" Mike refers to is a well known guy from Ontario BTW, for those that actually enjoy research and learning, rather than plugging their ears and stomping about while spreading detrimental detailing tips to others.

If you were just mislead and hadn't understood the negative affects, it'd be one thing. We all start somewhere. No one naturally says "I think I should use high quality microfiber towels, Grit Guards, and two buckets to wash my car" when they start out. It's much worse than that. You actually already know that this isn't recommended or advised.
Quote:
I have also heard of "evidence" (alluded to in my other debate on this topic that I linked to above) of severe and unrecoverable damage to leather from a magic eraser. I still have seen no proof of that either but I do believe that with extremely harsh and repeated use of this product you may cause some damage.I have also heard of "evidence" (alluded to in my other debate on this topic that I linked to above) of severe and unrecoverable damage to leather from a magic eraser. I still have seen no proof of that either but I do believe that with extremely harsh and repeated use of this product you may cause some damage.
No instant proof? Magic Erasers don't completely ruin leather in one sitting? Well I'll be darned...you must be right then. I haven't ruined a BMW's paint by polishing through it yet, so I suppose there's no threat in polishing a car either!
BP Oil spill? Those environmentalists CLAIM it's not good, but I haven't seen any issues myself yet, so I'm sure they're wrong.

Besides, if Magic Eraser shouldn't be used on leather, they'd list it on the package! No one will ever sell you something that won't work, or that is bad for you.

Appreciate 0