12-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Well, the headers were changed enough to have a patent on them, so it can't be that little. Also, the S63 uses a different turbo layout of two twin-scroll turbos and not only an increased boost.

Best regards,
south
I know what you mean South, but it's still just a different downpipe/header that takes exhaust pulses from either bank to lessen turbo lag. It'll definitely get a patent since no one else has the turbo's IN THE "V" of the motor. IMO, it's just not a true M engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Firstly, ///M is a Division of BMW that tunes. M is not a car per se. Just like people who thought the STI was a car. It's not. Subaru Technica Internatonal tuned an Impreza. If you look at all of the ///M tuned vehicles, they all perform. Even the 3 ton X6M performs. 0-60 in 4.5!!!!! That's not a Tell tale sign a tuning division is losing its way, in my opinion. Whatever the market calls for, a company must satisfy it. Just because you'll see ///M bits on non-M cars isn't really a big deal. It's performance branding. That's all. If Lamborghini can build an SUV in the 80's and still stay true to its performance DNA, certainly BMW can, too. As far as the 1M goes... It does what it's supposed to do. Perhaps this will be a design study for a greater vehicle in the near future? Let's just wait it out and see before we throw our hands up in disgust.
You do not understand the concept of what an M car use to be. It's not about 0-60 times. The cars are suppose to be relatively light; you can't make up for lightness with horsepower when it comes to handling.
And Lambo didn't turn the Gallardo into a 4 door sedan, AND they do have the Superleggara line, which is what the M line is SUPPOSE to be.

The bottom line is, they dropped a regular engine in to the 1 series and called it an M. THAT'S NOT AN M IN MY BOOK.
Kay Segler needs to go away.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0