View Single Post
      09-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #50
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
I truly believe that there are a large quantity of drivers out there who just don't really pay any attention.

They detect something (BMW, Lexus, Toyota, card-board box) on their left peripheral vision and so that driver speeds up. And slows down. And speeds up.

It happens to you when you are overtaking a car. Especially when some idiot is going slower than normal traffic. That's really really frustrating.

On more than a few occasions, I've dropped back a couple of hundred yards and observed. Those drivers do it to EVERYONE. They are frakking clueless.

I coined a term for this: Speed Echo.

In your situation, the clueless driver suddenly notices that a sports car is 'messing with him' as you decide to take action and get out of the situation. He probably told people that some damned person in a BMW just cut him off for no good reason. (What he didn't tell his friends what that for 90 seconds prior to this he didn't even know what US State he was driving in.)

Speed echo drivers are rarely dangerous, but always a nuisance. The best course of action is to accelerate and get away from them -- or your nerves will boil.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0