TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacofonix View Post
Hi All,

I went to the Mountain View, CA (Bay Area) BMW dealership today and I test drove two cars: 535i and the M3.

Each car I was allowed to test drive around 7 - 10 minutes. The salesperson did not know squat about either car. I expected her to show me the different settings (Drivelogic, EDC, the power button, "M mode" etc. etc.) and she said people usually drive with everything set to default and I could tell for sure she did not know anything about those settings. She did not know what DSC was and said "I always keep *DCS* on". I also wanted to take turns at high speed, which I did not.

All in all, I came away with the feeling that the 535i and the M3 are pretty much the same (which is BS of course) - but that's the way my test drive went. Of course, I tried shifting and revving on the M3 and the engine sounds great.

I then met her manager and requested for a longer test drive (around 20 mins - 1/2 hour) and I told him I wanted to push the car. But since she was standing next to me, I could not say I wanted a different salesperson who was more knowledgeable. So, it is going to be a test drive with the same person, just a little longer a few days down the line - I don't know how much it can help. Also, when I was trying to push the car, I could tell she was kind of scared, and she was holding on to the sides of the car (max. speed I did was 80 mph on the freeway). She's clearly not a car person.

How do I sort this situation out? Do I contact another dealership so I get a different salesperson?

To be fair to her, I want to add that she was very nice and treated me well and tried to answer all my questions. Just that she did not know much about either car very well.

Considering what an awesome car the M3 is, I think dealerships should have one dedicated "M guy" around to take people on test drives ...

The effect of the test drive on me was this:
Before test drive I think to myself, the M3 is such an awesome car, I am going to get it for sure and the test drive will be like driving on crack.

After the test drive I am like, meh, they both feel more or less the same, with the 535i obviously much bigger and more roomier.

Kind of sad ...
Ask for Vlaho at BMW of Mountain View. He owns and drives an M3. He MAY not be able to answer every question posted on these forums, but he'll be able to answer more than the average poster.

He'll usually do you well, too. Does MW still have the 2008 M3 with only 6k miles on it?
Appreciate 0