View Single Post
      12-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #239
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
As a for instance, I personally believe that on an E46 M3, a change in final drive ratio to a 4.10 from a 3.62 would be a good one. In everyday driving out on the highways, it would be a more responsive and enjoyable beast, answering your right foot with more eagerness. Cruise rpm would jump up from, say, 3000 to about 3400 (at around 80 mph), so the car would be making that much more power. The change would come at the cost of some extra fuel consumption and possibly noise, although these engines are very smooth at cruise, so noise won't be much of an issue.
I never understood this line of thinking. If you want to maintain more power at cruise speed, why not just leave the car in 5th? You get the same effect without having to take anything apart.

On a road course gear changes can be a win by keeping the car in the ideal power band and avoiding having to shift at all the wrong places. I swear in my car I ht the rev limiter about 300' before 3 diffrent brake zones at Laguna. Only in issue in a MT car, in the DCT you would go ahead and do the shifts.
Appreciate 0