View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1043
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Regular_guy, in the interests of keeping this thread accurate, I think it would be helpful to edit this in your list of "3 truths", particularly since people have mentioned using this thread as evidence of a problem if their engine blows -- "2.The bearing wear patterns we're seeing all match the Clevite online/interactive bearing failure diagnosis web site, example #12 "Oil Starvation / Marginal Oil Film Thickness." The main cause mentioned by Clevite for this type of failure is "too little bearing oil clearance." (3)". As I've previously pointed out, Clevite lists 7 distinct causes, and makes no mention of a "main" cause. You have previously admitted you decided this was a main cause because it was listed first. I'm just pointing this out, because you seem to want this thread to be pretty factual, and I don't find this statement to be very factual.
I changed the wording to say: Most of the bearing wear patterns we're seeing all seem to match the Clevite online/interactive bearing failure diagnosis web site, example #12 "Oil Starvation / Marginal Oil Film Thickness." The first of many causes mentioned by Clevite for this type of failure is "too little bearing oil clearance."

Quote:
Secondly, you continue to express frustration/surprise/etc. on the fact that people continue to link the "too little clearance" data you've presented to engine failures. I would urge you to reread the section on the first page titled "What does this mean to you?". While I agree you don't come right out and link too little clearance to engine failures, it also stands to reason that any informed person reading your data and then reading that paragraph would not immediately jump to the conclusion that low clearance = engine failure. You even mention catastrophic engine failure in that paragraph. If you are truly trying to keep this thread factual about bearing clearances and not engine failure, then I'd urge you to edit or even remove that paragraph. If not, then I'd suggest you should not be surprised that engine failure theories continue to come into this thread.
You are referring to a subsection of "Connecting Rod Side Clearance Issues" not a separate topic. That's why the heading font size is smaller and the font color is different than the main topic. However, I removed that one sentence causing confusion, and reworded the remainder of the paragraph as follows: "Here's some photos of the micro "blue marks" and abrasive scuff marks left on my Carrillo connecting rods from the previous engine build with improper side clearance."
Appreciate 0