View Single Post
      02-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #30
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
+1, in the end the savings didn't justify the hassle for me personally. Can you elaborate on the extended service (& warranty).. Maybe start a thread for it? I looked into it when I thought about buying new, but the dealer was being murky with the details.. When buying new someone once told me these extended plans should be purchased within 1 yr/20k km of purchase? Others have told me that it doesn't make much difference in price as long as purchased within the original warranty period of the car.. Still more dealers have been trying to sell aftermarket warranties? Needless to say I am CONFUSED.
agree. I did the same calculation when I bought my e46 m3. no way you would save much after all the fees, conversion, 13% tax, 6.1% duty, travel/food cost.

If you buy from a private person in canada, the saving doesn't even exist. I bought mine from a private and I pay 8% tax. no other fee whatsoever. After all done, the saving came out to be 2k if I bought the same car from the US. Consider the resale value when you sell your car, hassle, lost time from work ( can cost you 2-3k easily for a week worth of work), HAIR LOSS (big one to me), lol, etc....not worth it at all.

now if you are spending for car in the 100k range such as porsche gt3, then yes the saving can be around 15-20k easily.

I think the main appeal of buying car in the US is more selection for rare car such as the gt3, but the actual saving is not so much if you really consider all factors.
Appreciate 0