View Single Post
      08-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #60
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Look at the price of its direct competitior, the RS4. At 66k, it comes heavily optioned. I can't see BMW, which is historically more expensive than Audis to come in 10k under a car that it's better than... unless it comes BONE stock. In that case, any options are going to quickly jump this cars price up near the RS4's.
RS4 is governed by slightly different economics. It is not a regular production vehicle like the M3 is and will be for the next 6 years. It was planned with a limited 3 year run from beginning to keep its production down. It thus can enjoy a higher price caused by the lower supply.

BMW will price this car where they need to to hit their 100k sales goal. Although, one point I suppose we cannot forget is that the sedan could become the entry M3 (which I understand was not the case with the E36). That may allow them to place a small 2-5k premium on the coupe, bringing it over 60k. The 335i coupe holds a small premium over its sedan brother, after all. On the other hand, it will be the first one out of the gate, so it will set the trend so to speak as far as the perceived value equation the M3 lineup holds as a whole. Whatever the price, it needs to be a hit from the get-go.
Appreciate 0