Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigbus View Post
Yep, there's definitely a urethane coating on most automotive leathers, our cars included.

That steering wheel looks great. I'm not really sure where/how to get a good steam clean around me, though...I will ask my detailer.

If there is already color transfer, however, it seems like the urethane coating is prob gone, right?

In that case, do you think it prudent for me to try testing a reapplication of the top coat?
A lot of detailers don't have steam machines because they're typically not in high demand, but industrial equipment rental stores might have steam cleaners (sometimes they're known as "vapor machines"). That could be an option for you.

If color transfer is occuring then most likely the urethane is worn in some places. You can test this by putting a drop of water on the leather and seeing if it saturates the leather. If the drop rolls off the leather, then the urethane is still there. Worst case scenario is you can have an upholsterer recoat the steering wheel for you, but that would be costly.
Appreciate 0