12-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #44
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am not disagreeing just because it is you, no doubt Enigma will speak up soon and agree with me on this.

You feel a sports car is solely about performance and essentially about the figures they produce and thus people first and foremost pick a car based on these groups of figures. Only the very shallow ones.

Take some examples, an M3 which is probably the most practical sports coupe/saloon current on sale (if you excluded the GTR) and then look at the most basic Lotus Elise. One can pull 100mph in 9.5~10s and is capable (unlimited) of 190mph, while the other is capable 100mph in over 16s and can't quite reach 130mph. Based on the opinion that figures matter most to people then no one in their right mind would pick the Lotus never mind test drive it, but if they ever did make the decision and take that test drive, or better still drive it on a track they would understand completely that pure figures are not really that important as it's the experience that at times can make up for any real performance deficiency.

Bang for your buck is not a reason for picking one car over another, if that were true then all of those 335 vs M3 thread would have been correct. Is the Porsche worth all this extra cash? well that is up to the individual and is not something that can be justified on a pure monetary level.
Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I mention bang for the buck "IN A GIVEN CLASS"? This renders most of your point null. Most folks obviously decide the class, type, size, performance range, etc. FIRST and then narrow down to a group of cars to select from. Or those very concerned with performance might go by just by the numbers. Denying the massive importance of a cars numbers would negate the need for and interest shown in about half the threads on this forum. Numbers mean a lot and mean a lot to most, shallow or not.
Appreciate 0