United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Maybe I'm not reading your post as you intended for it to read, but it seems you're not understanding of the system design. The pulleys are ribbed (ribs aren't the same as cogs). The back of the belt is smooth but that'st not the traction surface.

The supposed issue causing bearing damage isn't related to belt traction- it's the additional pressure put on the crankshaft by applying a SC load. It may be torsional, side load, or harmonics causing the damage- I don't know. The front of the crank wasn't designed to bear such a load and therefore doesn't have the support that the rear main does. You can't compare the issue to american engines which are designed differently with comparably shorter crank snouts. A blower load placed on their cranks is closer to the front main support, but they're also just flat out beefier. The accessory belt on the S65 is much further away from the main than those examples and is the likely reason for the accelerated wear when boosted.
thanks for the info, when I read 'ribbed' i imagined a belt and pulley with cogs/cuts. thanks again.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0