View Single Post
      06-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
hmm, ive seen that thread several times but never actually noticed there IS a diy in there, even if it's very shortly written with no pictures.

he....uses the original wheel bearing to put in the new one? huh, that's strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I've read that front wheel bearings are a piece of cake to swap, but the rears have more going on, I think due to the parking brake if memory serves. Anyway, if you don't have lateral play then it's probably not critical to do now, but unless you're going to sell the car soon, you'll end up having to do it anyway, so you may as well do it now. It's not like doing it now might cause you to spend a bunch of extra money performing this service too frequently. You made it 82K miles, so whether you do it now or a bit later, chances are you'll never have to do it again. Sorry I can't help with a DIY though.

I replaced both of my front wheel bearings after 26K miles -- but that included about 18 track days.
i just got the car used a few weeks ago, and if memory serves the sound started relatively soon after i got it home from the dealer. i dont remember hearing it on the drive back.
considering it's 82k and literally nothing else is wrong with it (the inspection i mentioned found zero ghost codes or leaks), i'd be glad to spend $500 to get it in shape
on the flipside, i might be a pioneer and make the first video walkthrough of an e9x rear wheel bearing replacement......or i might spend 9 hours messing stuff up

anyway here's an updated video of the sound

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0