View Single Post
      09-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #68
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4 View Post
The M3 has a better chassis and it does not have a solid rear axle.
Agreed. In fact, overall the M3 beats up the Boss in my opinion. The M3 is clearly a better overall car, and clearly better on the street.

Not so much on track, though.

Quote:
Track cars do not have solid rear axles...
Uh, you mean cars designed to compete on road courses, right? If so (and I assume so), I agree.

Quote:
Take a look at Ford's standings in the Grand Am series or watch a race. The solid rear axle is limiting it's capabilities. Even the Camaros are beating out the Ford's.
We're talking stock, smog legal street cars here, right? Race cars are something else.

Quote:
I'd rather make an M3 a track car than a Mustang.
Not me. You can go faster on way fewer dollars in the Mustang.

Quote:
Solid rear axle is for drag racing only. Only an insane person would argue in favor of a solid axle.
I don't know anybody who's advocating for a solid axle on a road course. "Insane", though? You might want to get a grip.

Quote:
Ford is currently in 4th in GS and 5th is ST. BMW is 2 and 1.
Perhaps you have me confused with someone who actually gives a damn about how race cars are doing. We're talking stock Boss 302 vs stock M3.

Quote:
As for my personal track experience? I have yet to be passed by a Boss.
You want anecdotal? My son and a couple of newly-found track buddies who run stock Boss 302s down in Texas never bother talking about M3s. They just drive around them while winning and losing with Porsches.

However, your anecdote and mine are worth precisely nothing. Check fastestlaps.com, type in M3 vs Boss 302, and see how these cars compete on various tracks.

In my opinion, the M3 is the way better car, but the facts say the Boss is quicker on drag strip and road course. Not by a lot, though - which speaks volumes about how great an overall compromise the bimmer is, again in my opinion.

Bruce
Appreciate 0