View Single Post
      09-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
All this chat of 6800rpm not being high enough is comical. It's an SUV for heaven sake, not a racing car and now to address the issue of what is a decent amount of revs for a future M car. The fact is that this figure has got progressively higher with each new model, now sitting at the 8400rpm point, but is that honestly desirable for a daily driver.
Well, but the thing is footie, it is possible to build a motor that both revs high and has FI to provide more low end torque. Best of both worlds. This should do a lot to take care of your daily drivering concerns (personally I find the M great as a daily driver already).

And as I said in the "future M3" thread, the reason we don't associate high revving motors with SUVs is because they are so damn heavy, generally speaking. Its not because people are going off roading with them and need the torque for that reason - that's for sure. I could maybe see the argument for towing a large trailer, but again that is a tiny fraction of the population who is buying a luxury SUV, or at least an M "performance SUV" anyway. So if BMW would offer a lighter SUV, then the high revving motor will be no problem. Like I said, the M5 Touring does just fine with the S85 and that offers much of the utility of an SUV also.
Appreciate 0