View Single Post
      03-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #53
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

While today's F1 is supposed to showcase the world's technology and be more efficient, now that the new engines make no noise, who is going to care?

V-10's and V-12's revving to 23,000 rpm are also showcasing high technology, you don't see anything like that anywhere else, and they sound glorious.

Quiet, turbo V-6's, revving to only 10,000? We're getting dangerously close to Indy Car racing. V-6's sound like crap almost always, unless buzzed up to 20,000 rpm, where anything sounds good.

The sounds of F1 are a big part of the whole F1 "experience" for me at least.

I sure hope they at least turn up the microphones so we get to hear the new engines. So far the two practice sessions I've seen, I could barely hear the cars.

A few years ago on TV there were some races with VW TDI Golfs. They made no noise at all, and while the racing was good, it was the worst bit of racing I've seen due to the lack of engine noise.

No earplugs=no fun

I hate that I find myself complaining about F1. I am THE biggest fan of F1, but F1 is going downhill fast over the last few years. No refueling, basically spec cars and engines, now the new V6 vacum cleaner engines and half electric power?

I guess how I feel is this: Even though the new cars are totally high tech, and more efficient, and maybe almost just as fast, none of that matters to me as much if they don't sound insanely crazy good.

I'll watch, and hope and pray someone high up decides to give the fans, drivers, and teams what they really want.

I seriously doubt if anyone were polled, that they would answer "get rid of those awesome sounding V8's or v10"s or V12's, knock the power down by 25%, lower the rev limits to 10K, and while you're at it, make them hybrids".

What we have is the equivalent of Stewart saying "look what I can do!"

Appreciate 0