10-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Any monkey knows altering the exhaust can mess with your A/F ratios, and THAT can affect the engine. THAT's the only proof they need. YOU would have to prove your modifications didn't alter A/F ratios in any way; good luck with that.

Finally, the reality is if a dealer/BMW suspects a modification caused the failure, whether right or wrong, they'll deny warranty, and the burden of proof will be on YOU. And you'd have to sue first, and go against their corporate lawyers. The Magnuson Moss only applies if you changed wheels and BMW denies engine coverage, not something as obviously related as the above.

People who modify anything and realize he/she could be risking warranty coverage, and roll the dice, I respect. But those who think the manufacturer is the one that has to prove everything, therefore they can modify anything they want, and if something happens just put things back and nobody would notice, zero respect. The simple fact they want to put things back to stock implies they know they f***ed up, but want to get away with it . Good day gang.
Jeeze dude, relax. I by no means said that an exhaust mod couldn't cause them to void your engine warranty. It very well could but if you're smart about it, it probably won't. All I said was that they can't just void part of your warranty without proving/have legitimate suspicion that your mod caused the damage. Which is in short exactly what you summed up.
Appreciate 0