CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I'm new to my M3 and have the same q's as the OP. This thread and the one linked regarding r-compound tires have been very helpful.

I have a further question on brakes though. My car is 99.9% daily driver. I could see how stainless lines could be beneficial and not be a problem on the street but is high temp brake fluid strictly a track thing? Also, do those running track pads really change back and forth when getting back on the street?

I've been on a track once at NCCAR in a friend's M3, which I put off the track bass-ackwards and sideways. I plan on the M school in April and after that, tracks as often as possible. However, given my job and location, hitting the track may only be once or twice/year.

Also, where is the best place to have SS lines put on, dealer or an independent shop?
I have been tracknig my E92 for four and a half seasons at the rate of 15+ days per season. I am running an practcally stock brake setup (rotors, lines, calipers, fluid, no cooling ducts) except for track performance pads with no issues. Never lost brakes or suffered significant fade.

The stock brake system (pads included) with street tires should be able to manage a novice driver without problems .

IMO, SS lines are really not required and are a waste of money

Upgrading the brake fluid will definetly add a layer of safety without detrimental impact on the DD

Track pads are a compromise. For better track performance you need to live with sqealing and maybe rattling sounds on the DD if you do not swap your pads every time . Up to you.

But as you start to gain more speed, I would definitely recommend upgrading pads .

Naturally it all depends on the track layout, but in general, the M3 drivers that have issues with the brakes are the intermediate to advanced drivers that are starting to haul serious speed but have a tendency to overbrake or do not fully manage their brakes. Or at the other extreme, the pros/semi pros that are looking for that last bit of performance edge.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-22-2012 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0