10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
If you do a lot of night driving, amber is easiest on the eyes.
After doing some research, it seems that information is no longer accurate, either. According to the American Optometric Association, low intensity white is most optimal for night vision, followed by red (I'm assuming amber gets lumped in w/that), at least for pilots. I'd assume that the same goes for drivers, as well.

http://www.aoa.org/optometrists/tool...d-night-vision

Quote:
COCKPIT ILLUMINATION
Red light was used for illumination of the cockpit in post-World War II aircraft because it, like red goggles, did not degrade dark adaptation. The intent was to maintain the greatest rod sensitivity possible, while still providing some illumination for central foveal vision. However, red cockpit lights interfered with reading maps and log books, especially for pre-presbyopic and presbyopic aviators. With the increased use of electronic and electro-optical devices for navigation the importance of the pilot's visual efficiency in the cockpit has increased and new concerns have arisen.

Low intensity, white cockpit lights are often used now because they afford a more natural visual environment within the aircraft, without degrading the color of objects.
A friend of mine pointed out to me that his new A3 is low white, as opposed to the old red gauges.

I'm amenable to a low white, as well. Might be a nice compromise between the blue and the amber.
Appreciate 0