11-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenuts
I spoke briefly to the HR dept about the reimbursement policy. Theaccelerated program i was looking at will consist of 10 classes. Each class meets 4 hours a week for 5 weeks. The preperation time is estimated to be at least 20 hours of out of class work.

My company has a policy of 1 year retention after the mba is completed. I do enjoy my current position but, i want to take every oppurtunity i can to advance myself within the compny.
If you're going to move forward at some point, don't do any graduate level degree on an "accelerated" program. You're just short-changing yourself.

Look at it from this perspective, 4 hrs. a week for 5 weeks is 20 hrs. of class time per class. At 10 class, that's 200 hrs. of total classtime.

With my masters I had 3 hrs. per week for 12-13 weeks for 36-39 hrs. of class time. At 16 classes, that was 570+ hrs. of classtime. Even at 10 classes, I had 360+ hrs. of classtime. Even working full-time and handling other committments, I got done in 2 yrs.(that's taking max. hrs in summer as well). Add in "out of class" time and you can double or triple those numbers.

By doing an accelerated program, the classes are structured to only cover the main points because there's no time to dig into other things and really expand your knowledge. From a cost standpoint, most accelerated programs cost as much as the standard programs and you're only getting half the "face-time" with professors and fellow students.

Getting a graduate degree is not about doing it quick, it's doing it right and really gaining advanced-level knowledge in subjects. Do a typical program that's goes normal semester times, you'll thank yourself later for taking the extra time.
Appreciate 0