View Single Post
      09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I was on my iPhone when I posted that. Allow me to add a few more details.

I love turbocharged vehicles. The hp and tq is intoxicating. You can't make an NA car significantly faster without throwing some serious money at it (I increased my 1M from 335hp to 450hp with just a few simple bolt ons). The 1M is essentially an M3 (LSD, competition wheels, aluminum suspension pieces, brakes + other bits) minus the kick ass V8. Imagine M3 bits in a smaller (lighter) car. It'll handle better...

The S65 is an amazing piece of machinery. I just wish it had more torque... Having to redline the car to get serious performance out of it is what turned me off. When I get on a highway onramp with my cars and go WOT up to highway speeds, if my wife doesn't instinctively grab the "Oh shit" handle at the top of the window, then I need to modify my car LOL.

Now, I'm not trying to ignite an M3 vs 1M war. I just don't think you'll find people here who know much about the 1M or who own it first hand. There are plenty of guys on the 1 forums that have switched from an M3 to a 1M... In fact, there was a guy a few weeks back who wanted to trade his 2011 M3 for a 1M to anyone on the forum willing to do so. It's a great car!

But so is the M3. Why am I getting an M3 as an additional car? Because the 1M isn't very practical for more then 2 people. Don't get me wrong, it's deceivingly roomy on the inside, but the M3 is definitely far more practical as a daily. The N54 motor in the 1M has nothing on the V8 in terms of sound. My wife, who generally doesn't like loud cars, absolutely loves the V8 in the M3. Hence why this second car (E90 Sedan DCT) will be her baby and maybe my weekend track toy every now and then.

Sorry for the long winded post. All I was trying to get across is, don't discount the 1M because you will be pleasantly surprised. Take both cars on test drives and YOU decide. If you ask the same question on the 1M forum, they're obviously going to be in favour of the car they purchased.
Appreciate 0