View Single Post
      08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
leo67
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is

Garage List
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I have a 2012 335is and twice in the past year I got the red screen upon starting the car. It persists across restarting the car several times.

The first occurrence of the red screen occurred after I had driven in a light rain to a store and had left it in an (exposed) parking lot for about 30 minutes (all windows up). The iDrive control display started working correctly after about the 5th time to restart the car. This did not take more than 15 minutes (i.e. the car had not gone into sleep mode).

In the second occurrence, my car was left outside (all windows up), and it had rained overnight. I got the red screen upon starting the car the following morning. The iDrive control display only "fixed" itself after I had been driving about 10 minutes and stopped for gas. I could hear navigation instructions during the time I was driving with the red screen. Upon restarting the car after refilling the car (again, less than 15 minutes, so the car shouldn't have been in sleep mode), the display was again normal.

I'm suspecting moisture, humidity, or leak may be a factor, at least in my case. I've driven or left my car in the rain probably about 10 times since I've owned it. And the display failure occurred twice subsequent to a rain event and at no other times.
Appreciate 0