View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Please enlighten me what's wrong with me thinking that people who put a business in one of the most dangerous places for vacation purposes should be ready for things that could possibly slow business down, please fucking tell me how that is wrong....if I create a business on an island only able to get too from plane, and jet fuel becomes extint I'm not going to be mad, bc I expected that possoibilty one day...

Its business not people's houses destroyed like katrina and living conditions made bad, it isn't the locals that are suffering

Edit: other than workers losing jobs due to it, but this whole country is struggling with unemployment from peoples mistakes, so they aren't any different
You absolutely cannot be serious. A couple of hypothiticals to make my point:

1.) You're driving down the highway in your M3. Some drunk dude in a truck decides its a good idea to cut a hard left while going straight and jackknifes his trailer. (BTW - the trucking company forced him to drink the alcohol right before he hit the road). Your car just happens to be caught in the melee. Not only is your car destroyed but you can't go to work for the next five years. You'd like to complain or sue because now you have no way to make a living but hey, you were driving on the highway, you should have known the risks. It's not like you were walking or anything.

2.) John lives 100 miles from an airport. An airplane turning in for approach crashes into his house because the airline didn't complete the pre-flight inspection although they told everyone that things were fine. He'd like to complain and have the airline reimburse him for his losses but air travel is a pretty normal mode of travel nowadays and he really should have known the risks of living in a modern society. Too bad for John.

3.) Suzy Q uses a cell phone regularly. She thinks that radiation from the phone might be dangerous but the phone manufacturer assures her directly that their testing has confirmed that there are zero risks. They have even gone as far as to testify to the government that her concerns are unfounded. Based on this, she decides that she'll keep using the cell phone. 5 years later, Suzy Q. has brain cancer. She can't work anymore and her family is stuck in the street starving. She's like to complain or get some money to help feed her family, but hey, she knew the risks of using a cell phone. If she was really that worried, she should have used her landline.

4.) You have your island vacation rental getaway. One day, jet fuel runs out and no one can get to your island anymore. No problem, it stinks for you but you knew the risks coming into it. Guess it's time to divest and move on. What you didn't expect was that an airplane would run out of fuel right over your island getaway, crash and burn into the island, and render it inhospitable to anybody ever again. Now you can't even sell the place to get rid of it. It's a total loss. Good thing you were aware of the risks before you bought it or you'd be really pissed right now. After all, it's not like you were a local to that island or anything. You really have no room to be upset.

I don't disagree that there will plenty of people trying to take advantage of this situation but there are tons of people with valid complaints that merit attention - locals or not. I'm as pro-big business as the next guy (on this forum) but come on.

Last edited by double_j; 07-01-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0