View Single Post
      11-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
I've noticed a metallic tick-tick-tick at idle which seems to vary with rpm.
Perfectly normal, by your description. Some engines are a little noisier than others due to manufacturing tolerances. By the way, must pushrod engines are superquiet by comparison, but mostly due to their iron block. Just listen to a Vette, which has pushrods but aluminum block (like ours), and they make much more racket than our cars. As engine heats up, and oil thins out, the noise is more prevalent. Plus there's no underhood pad to absorb noise, like in most cars (clearance issue above 'powerdome', plus cost savings I'm sure, as a pad weighs practically nothing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony093 View Post
i was under the impression that S65 didn't need valve adjustment.
That is correct, but I have my doubts about the 'self-adjusting' part. Our valvetrain just seems better lubricated. I remember asking PencilGeek to scrutinize that claim, and he said all valvetrain parts looked the same as a 'regular' DOHC high-performance engine except a little lubricating hole on the tappets, so couldn't explain how they'd 'self adjust'. And he's been around engines. The good news is even DOHC engines without that system (Hondas) are supposed to last 100K miles without adjustment. Heck, even 'self-adjusting' drivetrains need to be checked/adjusted at 100K miles, since they have very little 'adjustment'. I wouldn't worry about that now.
Appreciate 0