08-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Personally, based on what you are describing, around town, in a dense city or just as a commuter, you will enjoy the 135i much more. I've driven both.

It has a much more usable torque curve at the bottom end. This makes passing, merging and stop and go traffic much more fun in any gear. You don't always have to downshift to 2nd gear to pass. Just step on the gas and go.

The shorter wheelbase on the the 135 also makes the car more "nimble" at low speeds. Very similar to a mini cooper. The mini cooper is a super fun car around town. Like a go cart. The 135i is a more refined version of that feeling.

If you don't track or do any kind of heavy, serious driving, you will not feel the effect of the LSD. - "week-end coastal drives that aren't at ludicrous speeds"

Save the 20K and get a E46 M3 as a track car if you really want to get into track driving. Or save the money and add some slight mods to the 135 to make it even better.

I'm not one of those M3 > everything type guys. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but personally, the engine and powerband is just too focused. It's a GT3 engine in heavy car. Not a good combination for everyday fun.

I also think if you decide on the M3, DCT makes the car more enjoyable around town. It's easier to keep the car in the powerband. The shorter gearing also helps.

Go test drive both. Hope this helps.

this man talks some sense listen to him hes frank with you
Appreciate 0