09-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #57
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
So that's what this is about: that everything is abrasive, so there's no issue in using one thing that's much more abrasive than another?

Let me be clear in pointing out that there is nearly nothing that isn't abrasive in some way to something like clear-coat. I got your back on this. I'm a true believe in the thought that every time you touch your paint, you're either improving the surface quality, or deteriorating the surface. The only single time you're improving the surface is when you're polishing, and even wiping off polish residue, waxing/sealing, and of course washing puts the surface at risk. No doubt's about it. Dust has broken down dirt particles which have broken down sand particles which contain things like quartz, and there shouldn't be any doubt that your clear-coat is NOT harder than quartz. So if you want to talk about this in a fundamental way and discuss the inner workings of detailing - I'm game.

The important things to remember are treating things the best you can. Not just clear-coat, but leather, wheels, and even your body. People don't go tanning and get skin cancer. People don't smoke yet get lung cancer. This shouldn't be a sign that it's fine to take in as much UV rays as you can, or to chain smoke day after day. No one is debating on "perfection" as it's simply not attainable. I hope you don't think that I believe the soft bristled tooth brushes I use on leather aren't in any way abrasive. That's not realistic and not how physical agitation works. There absolutely is a level of abrasion there. What is important is using the least aggressive method as a way to preserve and maintain different automotive surfaces over time.

The two bucket wash method with Grit Guard inserts is a great way to mitigate risk of inducing washing-based swirls and marring. You will still cause marring / swirls, but much much less. You'll do much better to preserve your finish rather than using water without soap, a dirty mitt, and dirty beach towels to dry the car.
It is not acceptable to tell people that using water without shampoo with a dirty mitt and dirty beach towels is fine because there isn't a risk-free method of swirl-free washing.

This isn't just some dogma that I believe in because some other guy said it. Every step, every product, and every process is carefully thought out to help reduce risk and extend the life and longevity of all components. Other factors come into play as well such a diminishing returns. Not just on cost, but time, and energy too.

Spend $400 on leather care products, (to include dedicated microfiber towels), and wipe down your leather daily to help prevent the build-up of dirt and oils. Sure that's only 45 minutes a day maybe, but the return on the investment is so low, it's not worth doing for most people, to include me.
Spend $200 on products, wipe down your leather once a week. That's only an hour a week or so... but still not worth it for most people.
Spend nothing, neglect your leather. Well... that's not acceptable as well. There has to be a happy medium, and that point is different for all people. Some might have the same ideas and standards, but that doesn't make them universal. The type of people that come online to find better and "best" methods are looking for something more. They WANT to do better and want to figure out how to get the biggest return on the time, money, and energy they put in. Some people feel this way because they spent a lot of money on their car. Some do it because chicks dig nice rides. Some people just want to take good care of their possession regardless of how new or old or the value of the vehicle. Whatever the reason doesn't matter; it's just that they take the best care possible.

Thanks for the post. One addition though...

...I NEVER get swirls because I never wash using circular motions, and I pat dry.
Appreciate 0