View Single Post
      09-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #24
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Well first of all... track driving is about grip...not drift. When you drift your car, you'll lose traction and that translates to a slower lap time.

That said... if you insist on some show boating... here's a few pointers. The most popular form of drifting is power over steer. This is what to do id you want to kick your tail out and make some smoke.

Here's some physics... understanding it will help you drift. Firstly, a car acclerates - this term includrs all change in velocity (brake, turn, speed up...) with the friction force provided by the wheels and the road surface. There are 2 kinds of frictions: static and kinetic. When there is no slipperage between the wheel and the road, static friction is in play vice versa. Static friction is higher than kinetic thus can offer more accleration.

You can apply as much force as you want to the wheels (by using the gas, brake or steering) until it equal the force of static friction. Beyond that, you will get wheel slipperage...aka drifting.

So here's what you do. First you approach the corner normally as if you are not drifting. After turn in, once you achieved steady load on your wheels give it some gas. SInce your wheels is already at the threshold of static friction, the force given by additional gas will push the rear wheels over the limit and sliperage would occur.

To control the yaw angle, you must regulate the your throttle. Reducing power to get partial hook up (meaning using more static friction) will give you more grip and bring the back in. Giving more gas is the opposite.

Steering wise: treat it as a suppliment form of control. Good drifters balacing their cars using the gas and not the steering wheels. One important trick to remember is look at where you want to go. Your brain will then figure out what to do with your hands.

Gearing wise: you need to be in a low enough gear that you can have enough torque to force the driving wheel lose. Steeping on the clutch and poping is also another method to initiate the drift; however, it is more difficult.

The most important thing about drifting is practice. I usually don't drift for fun. My drifting skills are picked up during different track events.

All I can say is have fun and enjoy your track day!

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0