07-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I think BMW's strategy is to leave room for the CSL to be the "king of the road" title over the RS4\MB AMG\CTSV. If you think about it, if the M3 = RS4 in terms of performance, then the M3 CSL will for sure be the "best".

So now you have different segments of BMW:

1. "non M, normal bmw" - 335i - softer, more comfortable than the E30, E36 type cars but still sportier than the competition. Nice daily driver, more appealing to the masses, but less appealing to the "enthusiast".

2. "normal M" - more sport than the non-M but not too hardcore to "scare off" the badge buyers.

3. M+ CSL: super hard core, but super premium. this allows bmw to keep their "title" of best sport sedan\gt type segment above audi\mb but still keep sales\profit high in the #2 segment.

Remember that most people buying E46 M3 were going after the faster 3 series, as many M3 buyers jumped to a 335i and are very happy. I have some friends who did this saying they like the power of the M3 but want a more comfortable car.

Anyway, if I was BMW this is what I would do and after reading the reviews this is becoming more evident. Its a business after all and you have to pay to play...
+1

To underline this, there will be the M3 sedan which certainly will not be a track car!
Appreciate 0