View Single Post
      10-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sounds like the tweaks the dealership did to the top did more harm than good. Unfortunate. The thing is, in my experience with convertibles (BMW and otherwise) there isn't one out there that will be both 100% noise and leak free in all situations. At 17k miles, my car has some rattles and squeaks. Now, it doesn't leak other than in a high pressure touchless wash (which the manual recommends against). If it leaked either in the rain or when washed with a bucket or sprayed with hose from the spigot on my house, I'd definitely be inclined to take it to a dealership as you did. However I would do so with a large degree of trepidation, because, given the shear complexity of the top, I just don't have faith that the dealership will be able to make it any better, and might make it worse.

As for the tranny noise, again, that's something I've experienced with every car I've owned. I would probably just leave well enough alone unless it was a major problem effecting performance or damaging the transmission in some way. The click while turning sounds like a problem I've seen discussed here. Not sure of the fix for that, but I believe there is a standard one. Likewise with the IDrive issue, IIRC.

Bottom line is you definitely got unlucky with this car, and it sounds like you have plenty cause for frustration and to get it bought back or lemoned. I wish you luck in getting results in that area.

At the same time, after reading this statement:

"I washed my car every week, baby it like it was the perfect toy for a grown man wanting to leave it in a wrapper and just admire it."

I honestly feel like I need to add something else here. That is, you need to be aware that you may never get a "perfect" M3. It's a rough-round-the-edges type of car and is a performance car first and luxury car second. It's not going to give you that coddled feeling like a Lexus GS would. I don't mean this as a dig against you. It just seems like, well, that you might be a very particular individual who expects nothing less than perfection. And while that is something I definitely respect, for me the perfection of the M3 is how it performs, and as long as it continues to be perfect in that area I will continue to forgive the minor faults that it has in other areas.

Cheers, and again, good luck
Appreciate 0