View Single Post
      08-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

A salutation to the M3 part 2, exit stage left

Have close to 2500 miles on a 09 Cayman S. Bought it because I had a very weak moment and found myself buried up to my eyeballs in an incredible deal that I didn't have the guts to get out of. The car computer says I am averaging 25.4 mpg so far. Most of those miles were acquired driving through beautiful hill country in the great state of Texas where the car was purchased. Yes, Texas is big and the barbecue is to die for.

Very few 09 Caymans are fitted with the new factory LSD; rare indeed, especially in combination with a 6MT. I made sure the car I bought had one and Texas was the State with one. The additional 25 ponies + LSD pushes this car to world class driving levels. The key is the low weight and and low mid engine placement. The limits are so high on this car that it makes novice drivers falsely believe they have talent in short order.

By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption. I thought I could hide the car in my garage but security has been breached and rumors continue to leak at higher than expected levels. Amazing how far stereotypes can stretch on an extremely overpriced car with German origins and a fancy name. The Accord is attention and drama free and has been genius from a financial stand point. Not a shabby driver either, with it's low weight, free revving motor, and slick shifter.

Still a member of BMWCCA and plan on keeping it that way. That is, unless I see X6 M yacht owners show up making the claim they bought it because they wanted the ultimate driving machine. And for Porsche owners, I hate to break it to you but there are excellent substitutes including every itineration of the M3. The M3 picture in my office remains my favorite piece of automotive memorabilia.