04-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #54
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
These is absolutely no problem debating CARS vs. debating DRIVERS (or even some combination thereof). They are uncoupled debates and the discussion here is about the cars themselves. Even if I can't get my car around the Ring in under 10 minutes doesn't mean I can't be quite keenly interested in how fast Walter, Sabine or Horst or some other very good driver might be able to do it.

These two drivers have shown 5 seconds of differnce for the 997 Turbo and as little as 0-1 seconds of difference for other P cars. Bottom line still is that with different drivers on different days you CAN NOT make the comparison. Even with identical drivers on different days you will probably have 5 seconds of variation due to wind, temperature and tire condition. You can not compare apples to oranges.

Wow talk about splitting hairs. Let's talk about a tuned M3 as well just to throw that into the mix . The bottom line is that the E92 M3 has a substantially better power to weight ratio than the 08 997 and under an apples to apples comparison on most fast tracks such as the N'Ring it WILL be faster. The rest of your words above are nothing more than a distraction.
The E92 M3 may have a slightly better power to weight ratio (if any) than a 997.1S, however it is certainly not "substantial". Depending on the weight you are using (3704/3131 Manufacturer's claims, respectively) they're each at 8.94/8.81 give/take. I realize that there may be slightly different weights in the real world but the delta shouldn't change that much.

FTR, I used 3131 from an internet source but thought the S weighed in at 3175 which would return a 8.94 even. Shave another 100 lbs off the M because some believe it weighs less and the spread is still very close.

Last edited by devo; 04-04-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0