View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #17
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
That is all true. Although I would note that I read the post history of every voter who did not reply to my messages and all but one gave no indication of ever having had an engine problem (the one that did is included).
Its also worth noting that there are 182,000 members on M3Post, a decent number will be E9x M3 owners or who will know E9x M3 owners. Those who have had an engine failure will almost certainly have posted about their experiences, its human nature that people with a problem will want to vent their anger.
Clearly the failures represent an unknown % of the actual failures that exist but all you can work with is the data that there is available.
And what there is, points to:
No epidemic of engine failures
No correlation between failures and engine bearing revisions.
If you look at the thread views which is actually higher than the actual number of member that are around reading a poll etc. , that should give you an idea of the small pool you're dealing with.
You're under the assumption that the vast majority of guys with engine failures will come vent on here, not true.
Let's go with the data that's available, not assumptions. It's like if you poll 500 people after you get the numbers, you include the 10,000 that didnt view or participate in a poll.
Appreciate 1