08-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I have been down this road. I traded my 2010 E90 M3 DCT for a 2011 GT-R.

The GT-R is an amazing performance machine, but I could see it getting old pretty quick if used as a daily driver. The car is really big and low with much less visibility than the M3 so parking and tight maneuvers can be tricky. Also, the GT-R is loud on the inside due to tire and wind noise. I found the Bluetooth useless at highway speeds because the cabin was so loud. The seats are pretty narrow as well and get a bit uncomfortable on long drives for my size 36 waist. Finally, you will get a lot more attention. This can get old fast as every teenager in town drives like an idiot to get a better look at your car.

On the flip side there is probably no other car that has this much performance yet is so confidence inspiring. Once you learn to trust the AWD system you will be taking corners at speeds you never thought possible. Also, the thrust from 0 to about 120 is awesome. If you want the most usable performance for under $100k then the GT-R is hard to beat.

I really enjoyed my GT-R as a weekend toy, but I recently came across a deal on a 2009 Porsche 997.2 C2S and I made the trade. I have wanted a Porsche 911 for years and I am happy I made the switch. I gave up some performance, however I feel like I gained a car that has more of soul. Also, I get to row my own gears again which I have been missing over the last few years while I went through my paddle shifter phase.

My only advise is try to spend some significant seat time in the Nissan before buying. This might be hard considering most dealers' attitudes about test drives. If you go over to NAGTROC and look in the regional forums you can probably fine someone willing to let you play with their car for a bit. One other thing you need to check out is the maintenance cost of the GT-R. If you plan to daily drive it this could be an issue.

Good luck!
Did you trade it in at Boardwalk Porsche?
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0