ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
could it be the octane rating?? BMW recommends premium grade gasoline and 91 aint exactly premium, definitely not if it has some ethanol in it. And i myself am not really sure about this thought but i was thinking about it. could it be engine knock (and I know that the M3 has anti-knock sensors) from a lower octane than what it should be (atleast a 93-94 or higher). A clicking/ticking sound at part throttle/low rpm is very consistent with engine knock from bad quality fuel.

Are people on this forum using the 100 octane/91 octane blend also having this problem? or does this make it go away.

like I said before, there is just way too much of a consistent association with this noise and the break in service. I absolutely cannot fathom why or what will cause this to happen after the first service but the association is there!!!

@ derric - after you got the crank and bearings replaced, you said it came back after 3 months. did it come back again after another service/oil change ??
WTF!!!

You might be on to something here. I just filed the tank with Mobil 93 octane instead of BP 93 octane and the sound is gone!

I need to go out and do another test drive to make sure.